PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Aircraft Maintenance On The Decline
Old 23rd Oct 2010, 20:40
HubNuts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
British Aircraft Maintenance On The Decline

After a recent spate of MRO's making employees redundant within the past year,and another major swiss MRO having set up a maintenance facility in Malta, i cannot help but feel that the cost of the British Engineer has either become an expensive commodity or that these so called MRO's Value our Cheaper Foreign National Counter parts.

I am not saying the British are the worlds best Aircraft Engineers by no means, but the level of training an individual has to go through to obtain the basic licence and then jump through various hoops within an UK145 organisation too maintain ones approval and keep recency are perhaps some of the most demanding within the Q.A world.

It was reported in the Independent News Paper that certain individuals employed at the Maltese Maintenance Facility were ex and current Dock Yard Workers, and others from Non-Specific Aviation background.

And it is very obvious that the cost base may determine a companies decision too move out of the U.K, but that does'nt make it right.

Perhaps it is just me complaining and having a moan, but when costs have been cut too the bone and the Company wants more cost savings..

.......................................would you be willing too compromise safety.

This is not a Nationalistic Swipe at our European Brothers/Sisters, just i am interested in peoples views on the decline on yet another British Institution..That being the British Engineer.