PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK fuel letter
Thread: EK fuel letter
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2010, 11:38
ekwhistleblower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For what it is worth I think it is an education issue. I certainly struggled with the concept when it was first introduced. Every time you land see how much fuel is left over final and you will know how much fuel was available for holding, I have never been within 15 minutes of final.

An A330 takes about 12/1300kgs to get from Desdi so no sh1t fuel from the hold to land is just under 4 tons. If you get to 4 tons in the hold with no sign of an approach; declare an emergency or divert, that is what the company expects.

Most aircraft, unless on a very short sector, actually land well above Final plus Alternate and have 30 plus minutes of holding fuel. Some guys though want to land with Final and Alt and have holding fuel too all after having committed. I cannot understand why anyone sticks on 5 or 6 mins of fuel, I generally do it in 30 minutes chunks at the front of the fog window and more at the other end. The best I have seen so far is a guy adding an extra ton from Melbourne of which only 400 Kgs would have been left on arrival.