PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 21st Oct 2010, 20:58
Colonel White

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Numbers game

Returning to the case in hand. At the last count (i.e. before BASSA pulled the plug on the numbers) there were some 9270 odd members in the BASSA branch. (I.m sure someone on here can supply the correct figure). If you take the touted figure of 6,000 strikers and look at the number who voted to ditch the previous offer (which is very similar in some respects to this lates one) you have around 3,400. So, roughly half of the strikers reckon the last deal was pants.Oh and about 1,700 thought it was OK. The silent majority was around half the then membership.

Human nature is funny. I reckon that there is still a hard core that will vote against any deal sheerly out of principle - we've seen enough evidence on here of the mentality. But there will be a block who will be weary of the battle and now want settlement. If 15% of those who voted against the deal last time switch sides and only 1000 extra votes of the 5000 abstentions are cast in favour of acceptance. then the deal will go through. There will still be a cripplingly low turnout (60%) but hey, that's democracy in action.

For those who didn't read the small print in the deal. BA require that Unite drop all court action including the current appeal court case. Now I reckon that given that this is now part of the settlement deal, their lord and ladyships will defer judgement on the case until after the consultative ballot has completed and only announce it if the result is to ditch the offer. Does this mean BA is running scared ? I don't think so. I think it is more a case of horse-trading. TW wanted to get a deal on staff travel. This was the price.