PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who engage auto pilot?
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2010, 01:46
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is my company policy for PF to push the button for B777.What happen was we lost right transfer bus during ILS approach causing auto pilot to trip and the mode selector panel integral light was out. As a PF at night, I had trouble finding the auto pilot button. So I think it would be nice for PM to do it.
Not exactly rocket science, and also the reason why everyone carries a flashlight.

"Bob, the autopilot kicked off."

"So it did, Harry. So it did."

"Would you be a good chap and press the button, Bob, old pal?"

"You know I would, harry, but it's very dark up there."

"So true, Bob, but I can't hand-fly this thing. Please don't make me try."

"But it's dark, Harry. So, so dark."

"Don't you have a flashlight over there, Bob?"

"You know I do, Harry. The thing is that if I use it for you, then everyone is going to expect me to use it, and next thing you know, I'm going to to have to buy a new set of batteries."

"Bob, you use the energizer batteries...the ones with the energizer bunny. They go forever. The commercials say it's so."

"I don't like the bunny, Harry. It frightens me. If I use the flashlight, the bunny is activated, and that's troubling. Besides, how do you expect me to afford to buy another couple batteries on a 777 pilots salary?"

"I'm sorry, Bob. I didn't think of that. What if I write you a check for half of the battery cost when we get on the ground?"

"I'm going to need to see some identification, Harry. I hardly know you."

"Would you take a very sincere promise, and my lucky rabbit foot for collateral, Bob?"

"It's not from the Energizer Bunny is it, Harry?"

"Okay, well, yes. It is. Will that be a problem?"

"No, I hate that damn rabbit. It gives me the creeps. Okay, you had me at 'would you be a good chap and press the button.' Of course I'll press the button."

"Hold off a moment, Bob. We landed fifteen seconds ago. Would you be a good chap and give Ground a call?"

"You know I will, Harry. You know I will."

Was that so hard?