PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Korean Air
Thread: Korean Air
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2010, 00:40
Ace Springbok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issues?

OK, I left KAL many suns ago but I do remember it was a great commuting contract. In those days we got first class travel without question and the expat pilots were treated fine by the ground staff. Things deteriorated after 2004 as more expats came in; with the weakening USD, the bosses thought the expats are the surest and cheapest way to break the back of the pilots' union.........they suceeded as expats began to accept the ****ty ways of doing things. The newer Alteons guys also connived to teach pesky expats a lesson .

In line operations, things seem OK until **** hits the fan when you have to fly " solo ." The local wonder boys either freeze or get tongue tied with ATC; or worser still, get you into knots with the ATC. In non normal situation if they fail to understand your actions they get into satcom conversation solely in korean language with maintenance/operations, all the time undermining your position as commander.

I believe from conversations with colleagues still there that the situation has gone worse with lots of newer expats eager to brown nose; now you have to spend your own time and expenses doing on line courses, no chance of ad hoc DH travel if there are no bussiness or ey seats available.

Having said that, if you are furloughed or a con artist wannabe from some dodgy operation trying your luck to get into the " big " league, KAL is a great place to get in. Always worth a try!