PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 20th Oct 2010, 21:35
Colonel White

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caribbean Boy
I think you'll find that the BASSA leadership will not be permitted to express a view one way or the other on this offer. I get the impression that Tony Woodley has had a bellyful of them. As with the 2007 dispute, he's gone ahead and done a deal with BA because BASSA were totally incapable of doing one. As with 2007, the BASSA executive are being told that this is the best deal under the circumstances. The only difference with 2007 is that the membership will get the option to accept or reject. Rejection will not result in a better offer though and strike action will almost certainly provoke a far stronger reaction from BA management. I'd reckon that if BASSA were able to summon up enough support for a strike (assuming that Unite would allow them to ballot), those who walked out could kiss goodbye to staff travel coming back and indeed could well be kissing goodbye to a job.

Watersidewonker.
You clearly haven't been paying attention to what has been happening in other departments over the last couple of years. We've all reduced headcount, had pay freezes and generally made great strides in becoming more efficient. Our layers of management have been slashed. Cetainly there is a possibility that some functions might wind up in Madrid in the future, but then equally there is the prospect that some functions that are undertaken in Spain may get moved to Heathrow. It all depends on who can provide people with the right skills and capabilities at the right price. We've also seen what were head office functions get outsourced to India. It's called change. We recognise it and accept that it happens. Anyone who believes that they can prevent change is not only deluded, but also in for a rather unpleasant surprise.