PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lvp
Thread: Lvp
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2010, 18:46
eckhard

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Michelda,

Firstly, I assume that you are not kidding.
Secondly, I salute your desire to improve your knowledge of flight operations, well done for asking!

If you are operating an Airbus in an Air Transport environment (e.g. EU Ops or CFR 14.121) your operator/employer should provide you with take-off minima for each airport that you operate from. If you are operating privately, the PIC is responsible for determining appropriate figures.

The minimum RVR generally depends on the quality and quantity of runway edge and centreline marking or lighting. It is normally listed on the 'Airport diagram' of the Jeppesen or Navtech chart.

To give you some guidance, I offer the following summary which I wrote (with help from another) for a private jet operator:

TAKE-OFF MINIMA:

The basic RVR minima are 400m/400m/adv, where 'adv' means 'advisory'.
'Advisory' means that the pilot takes note of the reported RVR, but that section of the runway is not relevant for the take-off in question.

NOTE 1: Special training is required for a take-off in less than 400m RVR.
NOTE 2: Low Visibility Procedures (LVPs) must be in force for take-off with RVR below 400m.
NOTE 3: With special training and LVPs in force, the absolute minima are 150m/150m/adv; however, these may be further reduced if special equipment is fitted and used (PVD, HUD,....)
NOTE 4: A Take-off alternate (within 1 hour at single-engine cruise speed in still air) is required if the RVR is below landing minima.

The minimum RVR depends on the runway lighting/marking and is listed on the Jeppesen airport diagram. This applies to all relevant sectors: Touch Down Zone (TDZ), mid-point, stop-end (not usually relevant).

If an airport does not have RVR equipment, this will be reflected in the higher take-off minima (listed as a met vis.) on the Jeppesen airport diagram.

If single elements of the RVR system have failed, the following apply:

• If the TDZ has failed, the pilot can assess the TDZ visibility himself when he lines up;
• If the mid-point has failed, you can substitute the stop-end figure in its place; and
• If the stop-end has failed, it doesn’t matter as it is not usually ‘relevant’ anyway.

To assess RVR, the pilot can count how many runway lights are visible.

• Runway edge lights generally have a spacing of 60m.
• Runway centreline lights generally have a spacing of 15m (30m in some cases).

Hope this helps,

Eckhard