PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 19th Oct 2010, 13:02
Spanner in the works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding your helpful comments about the service on board. No, you are right, I don't decide how the service is to be delivered. But If I'm working on the front line, and I can see that the changes that have been made (decision of someone far more important than myself, of course) are not working, and are in fact impacting on the quality/standard of the product, then surely I have a say in that, right
By going on-strike?
You have a say by mentioning issues regarding service to your manager.
He she will gather your reports as well as others (I'm sure there would be others if the service is as bad as you say) and report up.
If the managers are doing things right they will take these reports into account.

This is how company structure works. Sure, the managers need to listen to such reports and weigh-up how much negative impact the service is having versus the cost savings for the company on removing a crew member.

But that is the point - it's up to the managers to run the company how they see fit. Good or bad - they will ultimately be measured on how it runs.

If my department is run in a way that I think could be vastly improved - do I shout "sort it or I'll go on strike"? Course not.
I report it upwards. If they do nothing - that's THEIR decision. I HAVE to go with that.
They will succeed or fail on their decisions as that is their job.