PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Important explanation from the European Commission to my letter
Old 19th Oct 2010, 10:45
BillieBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So far as the Federal Aviation Administration Reauthorization Act is concerned, here is a good place to start. The bill as passed by the House of Representatives is here and as it currently exists in the Senate is here. Although the summary suggests that none of the contentious amendments made by the House have survived into the Senate, this is not strictly correct. For example one of the major sticking points, Section 303 as amended by Jim Oberstar in the House, still exists in the Senate version as Section 521, although the language has been toned down somewhat.

The text of the BASA is here and, as has already been stated, deals solely with airworthiness approvals, environmental testing and monitoring of maintenance organisations. It has no relevance to pilot licensing so I don't understand Seebohm's reference to a solution to the current problems being contained withinin it.

It is clear that the EU feels that, in passing the bill, the US will be reneging on agreements already made to the extent that the BASA becomes inoperable. Given the lopsided implementation of other bilateral agreements entered into by the US (e.g. extradition from the UK) I have regretfully to say that the EU may have a point. It is, to say the least, unfortunate that so many people are being adversely affected but, hey, when did the eurocrats ever care about the people?