PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 17th Oct 2010, 21:50
Colonel White

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bullying, harrassment and intimidation

upperdeckpsr

Wind back to all the material put out about bullying and harassment. The key message that comes across is that it is the victim's perception of the actions of the aggressor that determines whether someone is bullying etc.Now, depending on the course of ation you took during the dispute, you might have a different view on what is happening. For my part, I am not cabin crew and do not work in the area, but can see that the following scenario could occur.

BASSA have done a good branding exercise on those who walked out by doling out yellow pens, bag stickers, lanyards etc. Thus it is very easy to spot the XXXX brigade as they flaunt these. There is nothing like generating a group feeling. It is not unnatural that birds of a feather etc. So in a situation where you have people waiting around, there will be a natural gravitation of strikers to band together as they can clearly identify each other. Now introduce a new person into the room. The yellow brigade will want to work out whether the newcomer is 'one of them' or a non-striker. So much flashing of pens etc. If the newcomer is a fellow traveller they will feel at home, however, a non-striker might find such action to be threatening.

The thing that surprises me most is that all along we are talking about adults, yet the behaviour patterns are reminiscent of the playground. I don't quite understand the need by anyone who went on strike to so publicly identify the fact, unless deep down they know that it was foolish but are trying to brazen it out. I can't think of a previous industrial dispute where, post any strike the strikers have wanted to behave in this way. It does turn them into a clique, which is divisive. Unite have made a great deal of noise about how BA is dividing the workforce, yet by its own actions BASSA seems to be hell bent on creating friction between its members. The BASSA executive in allowing this behaviour have demonstrated that they do not respect freedom of speech or belief. Thus they are behaving in a tyrannical manner that is wholly at odds with the ethos of the union movement.