PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France sentenced to translate all its manuals in..........French .
Old 17th Oct 2010, 06:33
Me Myself

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me Myself could you shed some light which documents/publications are in French and English at AF? (GOM, SOP, AOM, approach plates)
It's a bit of a mix really.
Approach plates are in english and shared together with KLM. They are in my view a hell of a lot better than our old in house plates that were in french.
Tutorials are both in french and english. SOP's are in french which turns into frenglish on aircrafts like the 777 where all the ECAM check lists are in english.
QRH is in french for the descriptive part, and english for the procedural part reflecting the ECAM.
MEL is both in french and english which has many times led to misinterpretations in the french version. In my view it should be in english only.
The idea was to have the aircraft's descriptive part stay in english like it's been from the onstart on the 777. This will have to change.

The important thing to understand is that if the ruling stands before the High Court ( Cassation ) , any other operator working under french law, will have to comply with this ruling, should any pilot under french contract make a claim. The Toubon Bill being part of the National Working Award, employers will have no other choice but to comply.
For all I know, all of them use Jeppesen approach plates and Boeing or Airbus flight manuals.
You can easily imagine the financial and logistic catastrophy this would be for smaller operators like XL, Corsair, Aigle Azur who are already walking on a shoe string. What about City jet's pilots based in Paris and operating under french award ? They would have legal cause to make the claim too..........leading to a huge operational and human ressources headache since a lot of City Jet's pilots are also anglo.
Once you start pulling that string, it becomes a nightmare and no financial small beer as described by some on this thread.
I hardly think this whole charade will help spreading the use of french or its culture around the world, nor will it make the french any more fluent in english.
As to safety, we spent the last 20 years having incidents and accidents with french written documents.