PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France sentenced to translate all its manuals in..........French .
Old 16th Oct 2010, 20:54
Squawk7777

Location: formally Alamo battleground, now the crocodile with palm trees!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

May I point out the obvious issue of losing SA when in a bilingual ATC environment. And this happens, as a BA skipper pointed out some years ago, when things become agitated hence requiring better SA.
I NEVER felt having lost SA when I was flying in dual-language (Spanish/English) airspace (back in the days when I didn't know any Spanish). I felt more lost in rapid speaking environments like ORD, ATL and (sigh!) IAD. If you're losing SA in dual-language airspace, maybe you shouldn't fly into it at all.

As a matter of fact this argument was brought up in the "French ATC" thread and it was dissected quite well. Quick summary:

* You don't need to know everything that's going on in your airspace.
* Most military colleagues will be on UHF.
* USA AOPA's statistics show that most mid-air collisions happen on a clear day in radar environment with both pilots speaking to the controller (in English)
* Bigger airports have multiple frequencies for TWR, GND, etc.
* TCAS, ASDE-X, etc have added to SA when the frequency gets busy.

I'd like to see your BA skipper keep up with all transmissions and SA and flying/managing his 747 into ORD on a really busy day. But I guess I am not that all-knowing...

Me Myself could you shed some light which documents/publications are in French and English at AF? (GOM, SOP, AOM, approach plates)