PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - P1/P2 definitive answer to "time logging" question???
Old 15th Oct 2010, 22:32
Bigglesthefrog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies gents.
OK, by P1 and P2 I meant "In Command" or "Dual".
My instructor and I did not discuss prior to the flight who was in command. After the flight I was assured by him that I was OK to fly and as we did more than 3 take-offs (and landings) I covered the requirement for pax.
Jock, I filled in the tech log, because it's my plane and I followed this flight with a couple on my own (definitely In Command) and actually penned the information into the book afterwards, in the comfort of the flying club, at which time the instructor had gone home.

The scenario that I describe here, which is absolutely genuine in my case, is played out regularly by many pilots who are probably perfectly safe to fly solo. Maybe even after they have been flying for many years, but because they are safe and responsible flyers feel comfortable about getting another individual to check that they are. In our flying club, we have a very nice chap who is an ATPL with huge experience that puts himself through this process if he hasn't flown for 28 days or more. So why is the logging of time into the Pilots Log such a foggy business? The number of strings on this forum dealing with this very question and variations of it show that a large number of pilots are getting it wrong time and time again. The CAA have a vast cartload of rules and regulations dealing with all sorts of minutiae that probably won't effect the average PPL, but on this one many of us are left wondering.
Is it not time for the CAA to come out with a clear and definitive explanation of what should be written into the pilot's log (in words that we can all understand please) so that we can all get it right in future?