PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France sentenced to translate all its manuals in..........French .
Old 15th Oct 2010, 22:30
ChristiaanJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jcjeant
I shudder to think of what could cause (national language translation) such request in countries like Switzerland or Belgium
Or really in any other non-English language country.

This moronic and nationalistic attitude makes me shudder, too.....

Let me make myself clear.... and getting back for a moment to the start of the thread.

Translating documents to be used by local staff, ground mechanics, etc., of a non-English-language airline, where said staff does not have sufficient command of English, is not only useful, but necessary to insure a safe operation.

It then becomes the responsability of the airline, that those translations are clear, accurate, and up-to-date, and checked and proof-read by people competent to do so. Unfortunately we all know this is not necessarily always the case....

However, when we start getting a pilots union of a major international airline calling for translation of their daily operating documents in English into their own language for 'security' reasons, we have a major problem.

Not only do they admit they are being employed under false pretences (their employment contract specifies they have to have an adequate command of aviation English, so they should already have been fired), but also they are trying to create a precedent... "it ain't me, it's the company that didn't respect the "Toubon" law"... or "you're discriminating against me becoz I ain't capable of talkin' or understandin' nuff English'".. Recognize the mentality?

Let's hope this cretinism gets nipped in the bud.

CJ