PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First step to getting a license?
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2010, 16:50
dubcat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First step to getting a license?

Hi - I have wanted to fly since I was a kid. I am now 39 and the desire has never left me. I spent most of my life thinking it was a pointless exercise as I failed the Isihara test for colour blindness at school (queue violins). I hear that other methods are now used to assess colour blindness (Colour Assessment and Diagnosis Test) which may actually mean that I may pass the test anyway! Even if i fail I read that I can still get NPPL! Fantastic!

So, here I am wondering what my first step should be. I was thinking of taking a medical to determine whether I should be going for JAR 2 or NPPL first. Does this make sense? I live very close to Gatwick - is that the best place to get this done?

I also wanted to embark on a course of self study to get the written part out of the way. I have 18 month old twins so I do need to try to keep costs as low as possible (more violins) Can anyone advise the best value study pack to get through the written test? A web link would be ideal.

Finally, I was thinking of getting a flight simulator for my PC. Can anyone recommend one which will help me gain skills that will be useful to me when flying in real life? Something that would help me in the areas of navigation/planning routes as well as instruments and flying in general i guess?

Sorry for the noob questions. Hope someone can help.

Dub