PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All Lufthansa Companies hiring Ready Entries from 2011
Old 15th Oct 2010, 15:26
Captain McFly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Hi there,
well, the Ametropia-Limit is rather fixed.
All successful applicants have to obtain a Medical Certificate from the Lufthansa Aeromedical Center in Frankfurt. It's an initial medical exam, including drug and alcohol screening. The whole procedure takes approximately the whole day from 8am until about 2 to 4pm.

However, Lufthansa CityLine DOES NOT have an ametropia limit.

Additionally, Lufthansa CityLine is the only company which clearly states a language knowledge requirement. CityLine requires Level B1.
Let's take a look on the Wikipedia:
Common European Framework of Reference for Languages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Level B1 is defined as:
"Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc. Can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst travelling in an area where the language is spoken. Can produce simple connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest. Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes & ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans."

To be honest, that does not sound too bad to me; that doesn't sound like a lifetime task to learn.

My honest advice is:
Try passing the DLR-Test with Lufthansa CityLine. I think they are most tolerable. As a passed DLR-Test with Lufthansa CityLine is valid in all other Lufthansa companies, once you have passed, you can still simply ask any other Lufthansa company about their conditions and if they are willing to offer you a contract.
If they are willing to offer you a contract, which is depending on the damand only once you are "DLR postive", not one single further interview or anything else will be required - however, you will need to fulfill the slightly higher formal (educational and medical) requirements.

As to the german language requirements:
As I truly know, how damn difficult it is to get into that industry, I believe learning some german up to level B1 and maybe beyond is a good idea for every (desperately) job-hunting pilot with a EU citizenship.
Look: In contrast to English, French and Spanish, which is spoken widely around the world, German is being spoken only in a small area. However, in regard of the three german speaking countries Austria, Germany and Switzerland, the language defines Europe's largest markt with roundabout 99 Million inhabitants and dozens of airlines. As it seems like any airline is requiring you to speak some of the local language, why not aiming on the largest market in Europe if you should come in the end to the conclusion, that you're going to learn another language at all?

Last edited by Captain McFly; 15th Oct 2010 at 23:24.