PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France sentenced to translate all its manuals in..........French .
Old 15th Oct 2010, 12:19
Squawk7777

Location: formally Alamo battleground, now the crocodile with palm trees!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We can't, really.
Nearly always, if you know both languages, and read both original and translation, you realise something has been lost in translation.
Admittedly not always true... but only if the translator is also an excellent writer her/himself.
Exactly! That's why one should refer to a translation more as an interpretation when it comes to literature. I assume the same message comes across every reader when he reads Hamlet no matter in which language it is written.

Daermon ATC has hit the nail on the head. A scientific unit (SU) cannot be changed. There are sometimes confusions about which SU to be used, but IMHO tech manuals should be easier to translate than pieces of literature (note: translate not interpret). But if a company puts enough effort into proper translation which really is not that difficult since there aren't really emotional parts in it then there shouldn't be a problem. Usually, incorrect translated items are fairly easy to spot. Is it more an annoyance than a risk?

I have read some Embraer manuals and there were issues with it. I had wondered why Embraer USA had not proof-read or verified the translations. I personally think that if you have a proper translated manual there will be less issues with it than having people who don't speak English very well trying to guess what the manual (in English) says. Economically, it will make more sense to spend a few $$$ more on a good and correct translation than requiring everyone to speak and fully understand English. It makes me wonder how the automobile industry handles this. Surely, the Audi, BMW, Honda, Citroen etc. dealerships in the UK are not required to learn German, Japanese or French.

Last. Millenium was written in swedish and turned out to be a world block buster. The same movie was shot in swedish and was an equal success.
This endless claim by the french to be the cultural center of the world is just a bore and the reflection of their deep seated insecurities.
Korea seems to be the only country who went down the same path. A hell of a place to emulate !
There is a difference between a blockbuster and a cultural piece of art. Milllenium is a good trilogy, but considering certain scenes (especially the rape scene) it doesn't come across as a master piece of culture or art. If every blockbuster is a center of culture, we should all be worshipping the New Kids on the Block, Spice Girls, Take That, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon etc. (and let's not mention your comment about deep seated insecurities; you're opening a can of worms there mate)