PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Posted on the Wannabe Forum
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2010, 08:31
Cedar Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My lifestyle and quality of living was much higher when I was 19 years old (vs in HK on housing package) flying small GA aircraft in northern Canada. 3 bedroom stylish condo which I owned, good car, fridge was full of normal food, room to breath, air was fresh...

ANYONE considering this opportunity should take a very serious look at quality of living and costs in Hong Kong. They might just drop aviation all together and apply to return to university. Think LONG term people! Life is short.

Given the option, it makes no financial sense to move to HK from a western standard of living for $26k, it'll be starvation in every way.

Good luck to this business, looks like the jigs are hitting bottom. At least in GA it takes actual flying skills to succeed, can't get away with automation dependence that is so evident today in commercial airlines.

We may see a reversal of the tide. Insurance companies in Canada have set minimum experience levels (which are in excess of 5000 hour pic in some cases) for clients of GA aircraft on certain contracts. But here at one of the world's leading airlines, we can employ pilots with ZERO experience. These pilots CAN sit at the controls of these 400+ passenger jets ALONE while the real pilot is in the toilet or galley chatting up the crew. Does the CAD really exist? I find it very difficult to comprehend why the authorities allow so much inexperience to enter at this level of aviation? The money the company is saving is almost a non-factor in this very capital-intensive, low yielding game.

Point is, those jobs that actually require skills and real experience are seeing an improvement in wages, along with index increases. On top of that, a lot of these jobs are quite enjoyable. These cadets miss the big picture if they give that up, most of us got into flying to really FLY, an S/O position at CX doesn't offer that.