PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France sentenced to translate all its manuals in..........French .
Old 15th Oct 2010, 07:56
Daermon ATC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a time and place for cultural and language differences, and this isn't it.

Remember that mars exploring mission that crashed because part of the work had been done in Europe using metric system and part in the US using the imperial system?

Any technical issue relies on the absolute lack of ambiguity. If I say "1 minute" I'm referring to 60 times "the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom" which remains the same regardless of which country said caesium atom happens to be (luckily).

As a spaniard I'm acutely aware of both the blessing and the curse of multiple languages. Let's not loose our perspective, the reason for language to exist is to communicate information not to evidence an inferiority complex. Having cultural differences is fine by me but not in a technical field where having differences is the last thing you want.

English is nowadays the world language just as before it was french, earlier spanish and earlier latin. In the future we'll probably have to learn mandarin. Just face it and get over with, geeze!