PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France sentenced to translate all its manuals in..........French .
Old 13th Oct 2010, 17:50
MurphyWasRight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boofhead notes:
No, they translated the Korean versions back into English! You can imagine the result...
I once used a German IC (Integrated Circuit, have to be carefull with the acronyms as well) that was second sourced by a Korean company.

The English data sheet from the Korean company was almost but not quite understandable if you were already very familiar with the part.

By comparing data sheets I divined the following likely history:

Original data sheet - German, written by tech writer not familiar with the part.

English data sheet from German company. Readable if you waited for the verbs at the end.

Korean data sheet - Likely translated from the English version due to common quirks in tables. (but I dont read Korean so not sure.)

English data sheet from Korean company : Translated quite literally from the Korean by a person for whom English was a (distant) second language.

It would actually be interesting to compare Google versions of this, I suspect Google would easily win if given the original German.