PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France sentenced to translate all its manuals in..........French .
Old 13th Oct 2010, 16:03
FLEXPWR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can the French get even more ridiculous?
After accidents from lack of understanding, dual language spoken on French ATC, where the non-french have not got a clue of what is going on, it seems AF is not getting the "international" picture...

Maybe the same union(s) will also demand that weather forecasts, sigmets, be translated for them EVERYWHERE they land...imagine landing in JFK!

How about the placards and labels in the cockpit? "Flaps", "Landing gear", "Thrust" are TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE! They must be called and labelled as "Volets, Train d'atterrissage, Manettes de poussee"...

I think the best solution is for the rest of the world to adapt to the french and learn french language..

I will not make myself popular, but whoever is behind these pushy demands have no place in aviation and live outside reality. It looks to me as just an exercise to demonstrate how much power a union has, and protect a few incompetent who can't make the effort of learning the basics of aviation english.
Once again, the french system (generally speaking) put the bar high in studies and diplomas, and then makes sure that nobody will ever be challenged by actually using what they have learned...

That reminds me of a conversation with a French DGCA official, asking if we could perform simulator checkrides in english, now that everyone in Europe has the ICAO Level 4 or above. His answer was "certainly not, the pilots have their Level 4 or 5, and there is no reason the challenge it and make their sim session harder than what it already is by speaking in a non-native language.."

So it seems this will go on, and the french attitude is yet again not ready to change one bit.

By the way, I am french....but I dont say it too loud...

Enough said.

Flex