PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France sentenced to translate all its manuals in..........French .
Old 13th Oct 2010, 14:53
MurphyWasRight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, and another point (again from experience).
Translation is rarely done by people who are also experts in the particular field.
I can speak from personal experience on the "expertise" of technical translation:
A long time ago a (potential - but that is another story) girlfriend called me in a panic.
She had just landed a rush freelance translation contract for an American textile machinery company (I did mention this was a long time ago) that needed to provide French manuals for a high tech loom they had sold to a former French colony in Africa.

Although she was truly multilingual, fluent in Russion, French and English she was totally non technical and had discovered that most of the technical terms did not appear in any dictionary she had access to.

I had exactly one semester of high school French but was in the computer field. The manuals were full of the typical barerly readable prose produced by engineers forced to write something. I could understand most of it, although never having seen the machine some context was lacking.

The "translation" was done in 2 steps, I first re-wrote sections using words that -could- be found in the dictionary and she then translated that into grammatically correct but likely totally baffling French.

If accuracy was in question she would translate the French back in to Egnlish.

Still wonder what the customer thought of the French version of:

"The machine for the interpreting of long ribbons of paper featuring small holes" (aka paper tape reader)