PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 8
Thread: MANCHESTER - 8
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2010, 19:10
easyflyer83

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MANflyer, few fly quite as much as myself.

Yes it is getting quite tiresome. There was an initial over reaction to a simple delay caused by a simple stand allocation. As we have determined, EY decided not to use the alternative allocated by MAN and consequently they had to wait. As a result it was EY who delayed it's passengers. I think perhaps we should leave it as that as even I am getting tired.

Those of you who don't skim read will realise that I have never denied that MAN has it's problems (like most airports/facillities) but the situation last Friday wasn't one of them.

I think the problem is that we have self professed Alan Wickers transiting places like DXB and seeing the, admittedly fantastic, terminal there but not fully appreciating, nor understanding the frame work and indeed context behind the development of such facilities. Staying with DXB as an example, it was little more than a sandpit 20 years ago but the whole area has enjoyed extensive development backed by a rich royal family and investors and the airport has fed off this. That is just a DXB specific example of course but MAN and the UK as a whole aren't necassarilly as rich and seen as much rapid development. As much as I love Manchester (despite not being born Manc) and a great City it is, it is not a particular 'powerhouse' of anything since the cotton trade and the airport is publicly owned. Yet despite that, the airport has flourished and enjoys some excellent links that similar Cities could only dream of. It certainly isn't a glass palace and certain cosmetic issues need to be addressed (yes travelators im sure) but fundamentally it is a good, sound and well run place. You may mock, but those awards were won for a reason.

I don't work for MAN or MAG and I was not born and bred in Manchester. Up until 8 years ago I was Barnsley born and bred.

Last edited by easyflyer83; 12th Oct 2010 at 19:56.