PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fellow Instructors, on Trial Lessons, do you...?
Old 12th Oct 2010, 10:37
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clearly a checklist/do-list of sorts is needed but I would expect most experienced and current instructors to have this in their head, rather than on a piece of paper.
Isn't the best situation where the "Do List" is a separate document from the "Checklist" and the do-list is memorised while the very brief checklist is used as intended - as a check that criticfal do-list items have been done. The average C172 "Checklist" can be 1 side of A6. The "do-list" can be several pages of A5.

There is no argument for not using a checklist in an open-cockpit aircraft since there is also no basis on which they are absolved from carrying the appropriate chart(s). Can't think of any open-cockpit aircraft that would require a checklist bigger than 1 side of A6 (perhaps 1 side of A5 at a push).

The checklist is there is ensure that safety critical items are not forgotten - the memory system is not 100% perfect (75% seems to the the aviation standard ) so if it is safety critical then we want very close to 100% reliability so memory is not going to guarantee that level of safety.

On the other hand.....in some simple fixed gear aircraft one has to ask.......is there more than 1 or perhaps 2 things that are really "safety critical".......therefore a 2 item checklist?

----------------------------------------------------------

Folk with cancer in the last weeks of there life on a last tour of the UK.
Sorry. Can anyone decipher "trial lesson" from the above? I can't.

I can't even imagine how many public transport regs that would breech.

It is not about all the extra rules that would be broken in addition to the basic illegal public transport. It is about the whole intention of the flight.........which I think the average member of society would struggle to link to flight training based on the first quote above.

If the intention was a flight lesson then why not simply say so. If by coincidence the flight took in a few scenic places then that is nice but if the intention was solely to tour some scenic places (as per the quote above) where is the flight lesson intention?