PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Joe Eakins: Brave?....or....
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2010, 00:35
A. Le Rhone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said Joe - eloquent and concise.

People like Ken Borough and Autobrakes 4, yes you might have valid points BUT IT IS IN THE PAST. I don't much like the pilots from 1989 because they interrupted my planned career but that was long ago.

TIME TO MOVE ON.

We need more succinct, calm and rational voices like Joseph to fix the future. These traits are what our profession is supposedly renowned for. Learn from the past but don't dwell on it.

Mega-orders and too few experienced pilots make for a wonderful scenario for us now. But perpetually rambling on about past ills (no matter how justified) is absolutely futile. Anonymous sniping at colleagues on PPRuNe is exactly what those who try to control you would wish for.

Intelligent and concerted PR media-bites like Josephs are exactly what is needed now and on a continued and persistent basis. The PR damage to managers who try to undermine years of accumulated Australian aviation safety-culture to fatten corporate profits and CEO's wallets is powerful.

Indeed I see Joe's letter as part of a bigger public service. The media howled (correctly) when the Garuda crash killed their own. Why do we then even consider allowing non Australian-trained pilots to fly Australian airliners? Having experienced first-hand the relatively poor standards of many foreign aviation jurisdictions I believe we have a duty to highlight this to innocent Australian passengers who otherwise know no differently. Why should it take more Garuda-type crashes to make this point? And shame on these managers who wish to go down this path solely to further undermine your salaries.