PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - And the airmanship award goes to, the pilot of (LY AGS)
Old 11th Oct 2010, 13:28
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
far more use to study "human factors" than to train power-out landings
I totally agree with this statement. I recall too many occasions where a very airworthy aircraft was all that stood between my poor decision, and a poor outcome! That's not to say that I have not had mecanical failures, but I've had a lot more human failures. Fortunately when I had the mechanical failures, I managed to keep the human failures to a minimum!

During my time at the engine overhaul shop, I conduced research on crashes involving aircraft powered by Lycoming 320 and 360 series engines, as several engines had come to us, all with the same mechaincal failure, and I wanted to see if there was a trend. The trend I found, was not the one I expected. The three internal failed engines were the only three known to have had that failure in Canada - we just happened to get all three. In summary, less than 4% of crashes of that group of aircraft could be attributed to mechanical failure of the engine. 50% were fuel exhaustion, and 25% more on top of that were improper fuel management. Human factors.

The "Swiss Cheese - holes lining up" model for an accident is an excellent way of thinking about it. I've allowed holes to line up carelessly, and sometimes lined a few up, in a "necessary" operation (flying a helicopter across a small fog bank, to the clear on the other side, during which operation, an engine failure would be really bad). The key is to be alert to the fact that holes are begining to line up, and figure where your comfort level is in the present, AND possible near future, conditions, so another unexpect hole does not line up, and be your last.

I agree that we must all take "inside" responsibility for each other, and keep our pastime safe, and looking good from the outside. Mentoring and an understanding word of advice are good. Witch hunts, and random fault finding are not. I avoid as much as possible unsubstantiated fault finding agaist others, lest someone recalls the occasion in the past when I had done something equally dumb!

"Do unto [for] others, as you would have them do unto [for] you..."