PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 Recruiting now
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2010, 11:48
Starbear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kong

You can spend all day if you like, dissecting and analysing words that I've used but I am very confident in my use of the English language, that the overwhelming majority of thinking readers will understand my message. You really should have gone with your first instinct.

So a bunch of guys with debts exceeding £100k and desperate for a job are not very, very vulnerable?

"Jet2 is ethical because they lay out their conditions very clearly"-really? Is that why the telephone interviews consists primarily of establishing what the is the minimum package you will accept. If the terms and conditions are so clear then an opening statement of something like "we have a number of permanent 70% postions available, is this something you would be interested in"? Or even have those details on the website. Also,if they are so desperate to cut costs, because poor old Jet2 are the only ones fighting in this current market, why are they not taking on type rated guys ahead of non type rated? Nothing to do with creaming off some of the TR costs I suppose? Perhaps you might also be able to justify a bond of £6,000 for recurrent training for a new entry TR pilot, when the true cost would be about £2,000? I won't even mention the morals involved in bonding for what is legally required training-oops I just did. Actually the list of negatives is almost endless.

When I state that Jet2's modus operandi is cheapskateitis, I refer to the whole package and not just the constant references to the 70% deal. They have consistenly and from day one, paid well below the market rate regardless of the actual state of the market. You and they are simply using this current market to justify that approach. I dare you to get hold of the full details of one of the proper airlines packages and even you would probably be emabarrassed to discover you're effectively working for about 66% of their rate.

Again for those that feel they have to accept this sort of deal just now because they simply have so little choice, I actually take my hat off to them and hope they will scoot off at the first available opportunity.

You are quite correct, I did post on the Easyjet forum, I assume you must mean this one:
Genuine Question
Something that has always caught my eye about EasyJet's T&Cs is the 90% salary for six months after gaining command, whether DEC or internal upgrade. I am intrigued to know firstly how managent spin their justification of this and secondly why this was ever accepted/tolerated by the pilots or Balpa or their predecessors.

Just to repeat this a genuine question.
Well if you read that as "banging on". I plead guilty. But at least you have picked up on the common theme, of exploitation just because they can. Or perhaps you can even find some justification for paying new commanders 90% of a first year command salary for six months?

And you are also quite correct when you said I am standing on the sidelines supporting pilot T&Cs in general. I worked for a large UK airline when the DFO instigated a Junior F/O salary scale (now very common of course) and when I challenged him to justify this approach, he said that he didn't think it correct that an F/O with about 1500 hours should get the same as one with 3,000 to 4,000 hours (shows how long ago this was). I thought about this and asked if this was perhaps because they would always fly with training captains (so extra costs). No was the answer. Ah so maybe they will always fly with a senior captain at least then (extra work for rostering/crewing). Nope was the answer. So when I established, that when cleared for normal line flying, this Junior F/O would be doing exactly the same type of flying and exactly the same number of hours as the other F/Os, I told the DFO to his face he was wrong and exploiting these people. Did it make a jot of difference? Of course not but that's where I am coming from because what you don't get is that there are many others like me who do care, even when not directly and personally affected

The bottom line is that we are all whores in this business but Jet2 certainly haven't found my price. Its all about self worth and the only person who should be justifying such poor deals is the individual and then only then to himself.

I see that I really have "banged on" now, sorry about that but I supect this will be my last post on this topic because whilst I know that many support my viewpoint, there absolutely no chance to get through to apologists such as yourself and I think I have said all that I need to.