PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fellow Instructors, on Trial Lessons, do you...?
Old 11th Oct 2010, 09:36
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by mad_jock
It not really a question of to do the checks or not Genghis more of how you do them. Are you doing them out loud slow time explaining every switch and knob using the printed checklist or are you doing them from memory while say "Now i will just perform some checks to ensure the engine is producing enough power". We are not talking about jumping in the machine cranking it up, calling for taxi, going straight out to the runway and flying without a power check or a control check.
I hope that you are right. Many very able pilots (and most people in open cockpit aeroplanes) conduct checks from memory or mnemonic. It's still a checklist - it's just not running through a set of flip-cards. I'd certainly be equally worried by an instructor who took five minutes going through it like (I did as) a pre-solo student.

The safety briefing of trial flights is the most serious issue out of that list and unfortunately the one which is proberly missed by a disgustingly large number of FI's.
I've even flown with FIs who criticised me for conducting a formal captain's brief - they clearly regarded it as over-procedural and unnecessary.

I did it anyway.

G