PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 10th Oct 2010, 23:37
SlideBustle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If Mixed Fleet was to be intergrated like SOME RUMOURS state - I and many crew would probably be thrilled!!! The Mixed Fleet may have some initial savings but will it work??? Also for us current crew who have more than 5 years left and definately 10 plus years it is a worry. I did believe the 40% in 10 years at one point, but now I am believing it less and less every day!

The savings they could do in other ways could still be enough (let's please not forget that we are not REALLY in a fight for survival!) Mixed Fleet crew working alongside us - maybe to different agreements. Maybe they could still do Mixed flying.

As for the whole ''well they would be doing a nighstop whilst current crew would be doing 2 nights'' - well as people have said - there are trips already where there may be a 777/747 where crew join another crew/itineries. Also on shorthaul with A319, A320, A321 trips each day there are extra crew, ''joiners'' the crew on the last flight out may be on a A319, 3 crew, bringing home a A321 with another 2 crew on top, those 2 crew may have been on 2 A320s the previous day or even on a ''billy no mates Standover'' etc etc! Needless to say crew do not always stay with each other for a whole trip at the moment - wheres the difference.

Or if this is really confusing, how about a compromise that will still save money? Mixed Flying crew work to our agreements whilst on a trip. On days off they work to MF agreements? May not save as much money, but still will save money.

Basically the kind of compromise as stated above would be win-win. I don't like the pay new crew will be getting, and that's why I do think future crew should also be able to join a union. It is still a basic human right to have a say on your working conditions. A company does not owe anyone a living it's easy for people to say - but come on we are not all robots! I also find that the people who say this are often well to do themselves! If every form of employment starts doing a race to the bottom - where will all the well paid jobs be? Why is it a crime to be well paid anyhow?

Anyway militant hat off - I sincerely hope that this settelment comes to end this bitter dispute once and for all. It has caused real stress to many crew. So comments about us being overpaid etc etc are very insensitive. Which we are not anyway.