PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK - EFB class II what ya think?
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2010, 19:55
Sataybox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't pay a lot of attention to the updates on this EFB but I gather these devices are intended for functionality with the Lido documentation.

Lido - the cheap alternative to Jeppesen, which is the documentation of choice of airlines which don't operate with a "Lowest Bidder" mentality.

So they pull out the built-in devices and replace them with these ridiculous laptops which they install in a homemade steel box, where the documents case would normally be. But you still need the documents because years later, this device isn't finished yet. Unfortunately, the documents are now located in the coat closet - handy.

All this to save a few bucks but I bet it's cost them more than that with this silly process. And of course it's the user (you) who suffers.

Other airlines use the proper kit which does everything you need but in this cheap outfit, we get a laptop connected to a cheap screen/interface and a two-page FCI to explain how to switch it on and off.

Anything to save some money. ANYTHING.

Can you imagine what life would be like if Emirates weren't making billions?

Remember when they replaced those oh-so-expensive Jeppesen cases with those stupid homemade bags they had stitched together down at Lobos in Satwa? Just to save a few fils... jesus christ.

Whose idea was this so-called EFB? And what sort of bonus did he claim for it?

With a link to the FMS to give real-time position, the e-route manual will be quite good.
The proper gear would be even better. But hey, so would proper f-ing crew rest facilities.

Last edited by Sataybox; 10th Oct 2010 at 20:07.