PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 10th Oct 2010, 15:39
Caribbean Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
diut wrote:
Numbers might have dropped due to severance and people leaving as well,as you know the only recruitment we have had has been with temps which are not unionised..so please consider everything as I would do. I don't particularly like numbers as we never know the exact figures,but I can only go with what I see onboard.
I like numbers because they can tell uncomfortable truths. The number of cabin crew who took voluntary redundancy was 1,003 - they left on on 31 October 2009, 30 November 2009 and 15 December 2009. So, when Unite balloted 11,691 in January 2010 for strike action, those were the people who did not take VR.

As for cabin crew who left BA: based on an average of 25 leaving each month, then about 225 would have left between January and now, bringing the Unite membership down to around 11,500. But it's not 11,500, is it? Only Duncan Holley has the exact figures for union membership, but it does look as if at least 2,500 have given up their Unite membership. That's a lot of people who no longer have belief in Unite.