PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 8
Thread: MANCHESTER - 8
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2010, 11:27
roverman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
easyflyer and Andy H52,

Thanks for your comments. It is not always posible to set out all the arguments in detail within a short post such as my previous, and I accept therefore that some of the logic may be hard to follow. I was drawing attention to the fact that LPL's traffic (mainly loco) is not generating profits even at 5mppa, and therefore there is a question mark over how sustainable this is. Airport infrastructure has to be financed from somewhere and if there is continuously no profit, how will this be done?

You are right - I didn't mention Leeds. I haven't looked at their profit and loss figures but the arguments are broadly the same, except that you can argue that LBA serves NE England rather than just fragmenting the NW market as MAN/LPL competition does.

Yes, MAN has recognised the importance of locos, but has been careful and measured in its approach so as not to become reliant on this volatile sector in the way that LPL, LBA, and STN have.

I suppose the main tenet of my argument is to question the value (to society and to the economy of the NW) of the loco business at LPL, as it simply fragments services over a small geographic area. It has mainly duplicated or replaced services at MAN using a business model which generates no profit for the airport. Profits at MAN can be re-cycled into improved infrastructure as well as contributing to local taxation. For example, MAN is able to make a substantial funding contribution to the Metrolink tram system extension, without which it probably wouldn't happen. This has benefits far beyond the airport's business.

The smaller regional airports like LPL have a role in serving niche markets, but it is wasteful to have them compete with the main regional gateway. The most enlightened approach to this would be to spread the public ownership of MAN beyond just the Greater Manchester authorities, and to include the other authorities of NW England. This would give true ownership of the regional gateway to all the cities and counties, a broader base for funding, broader dividend contributions, and help to foster a coordinated rather than competitive approach to transport and infrastructure planning. An example is Munich, owned by the City of Munich, the State of Bavaria, and the Federal Goverment as equity sharing partners. Not likely in the present political climate, I know.