PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 9th Oct 2010, 23:36
Colonel White

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave3

I fail to see how the terms and conditions of crew contracts have been changed. Crew complements are not contractual. If they were, then all BA needs to do is issue a proposed change and give crew 90 days to sign it. Is that what those who walked out want the company to do ? It would be a very easy move and given that crew have been working to the new numbers for nearly a year I suspect a lot of people would sign up.

Fighting for what you believe to be right is admirable, but it is important to know which fights to pick and which to avoid. BASSA very foolishly didn't avoid this one and now a heap of crew members find themselves caught out. Continuing the fight runs the risk of losing one's job - assuming that the individual takes further strike action.

The problem for those who walked out is that they can't use the same premise again for further action. So the fight grinds to a halt. What is left is a group of dissatisfied cabin crew who feel oppressed, unsupported by a number of their colleagues (by my reckoning around half of cabin crew disn't walk out) yet unable to alter the situation. Choices. Accept the status quo, recognise you lost this one learn from it and maybe next time seek to build what you lost this time into any settlement to future disputes. Alternatively leave the company and work for another carrier. Third option is stay but try to plug away at this forlorn hope. The risk is that you might then find that BA tighten up on all sorts of little things, like uniform standards, punctuality, service levels etc. Infringements get treated by the standard processes, which may mean anything from being pulled from a flight to disciplinaries.

FWIW at least cabin crew haven't been put through the delights of having to reapply for their jobs as some A scale staff have. Having 20 people play musical chairs for 15 jobs is not fun.