PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 9th Oct 2010, 22:56
Colonel White

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave3

That wasn't quite the point I made. I asked what Unite intend to do to bring this dispute to a close. Further strikes that rest on the same reason would not be 'protected'. Thus anyone who walked out could be dismissed for breach of contract. Now I'm sure that being sacked is not exactly what those who have walked out so far have in mind. Moreover, what useful purpose would striking serve if BA are able to maintain a viable operation ? Surely the whole point of the strike weapon is that it brings the company to a halt and thereby forces management to accede to the union demands. Any ballot now would presumably be lined up to deliver strikes over the Christmas period. Those crew with modest memories will recall the public backlash last year. Given that this time around BA will not only have all the volunteers but also the new Mixed Fleet staff plus at least 1000 existing LHR staff, oh and all of LGW and LCY I suspect that those turning in for work will be treated as absolute heroes, whilst the stayaways will be regarded as lower than the Grinch. If the stayaways then on their return to work and make their status very public by wearing BASSA lanyards, sporting xxxx tags on luggage and clutching yellow pens they might just get a lambasting from the passengers. Question . Is that what strikers really want ?