PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 Recruiting now
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2010, 10:07
Captainkingkong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starbear i cannot resist this so here we go.

Charlatan and Shyster two words that you used which are chosen to be emotive in the nature of identifying Jet2 and the current recruitment. Such emotive words but used so incorrectly, as you are so fond of dictionary definition i thought i would do the honours for you :-

From the OED regarding charlatan

Pronunciation:/ˈʃɑːlət(ə)n/
noun
  • a person falsely claiming to have a special knowledge or skill

So you inserted an emotive word to create an image through your post that was totally incorrect as i am not sure that the term would apply to any through the recruitment process.

There is a phrase up't North "You cut your cloth according to your cap" now sadly the economic cap in the UK is looking a little shabby this morning. I see London underground are about to lay off 800, yes thats correct 800. That from a service that is almost a "demanded right " by Londoners. No where does that leave the rest of the economic structure especially holidays and travel which inherently is peoples' disposable income ?? How much disposable do think the British public will have next year.

So i see you didn't answer the question, you expect airlines to fund 100% contracts even though there is no work for those pilots in the Winter ?? Is that really what you are saying ? If the answer is "NO" well welcome aboard the reality express stopping at all stations to full time employment in 3 years time.

Now i have to quote you "Every single point you make about other airlines could possibly be viewed as a genuine reaction to these exceptional times but this not new for Jet2 as I have pointed out a couple of times now, this is their modus operandi even in "good times""

Absolute twaddle my friend up until last year all crew were employed on 100% contracts i was one of them i know. Other airlines do have poor practices, Easyjet operated a flex crew on an hourly rate, i haven't looked but i am sure you were on the Easyjet forum banging on about this and the dreadful way to treat professionals. However what is being offered here is a 70% full time contract and therefore covered by full time employee employment rights and protection. This is not a temporary contract. Yes there are different deals being passed around, some 70% and some 100% that is applicable to a candidates experience i am sure.

I need to quote you again ( this could get repetitive ) "If any business is in dire straits through no fault of of its own then I believe almost every single employee would work for nothing to ensure its survival but again that's not what we are talikng about here is it. "

Fighting for survival ? Actually i think UK plc is fighting for its survival the only people who don't seem to think that are the deluded souls of union leadership who drag cabin crew out on strike in the middle of a recession. I think every business in the next 18months will be fighting for survival especially if the double dip appears up on the horizon. So the businesses that enter the next 18 months in a lean fighting shape ready for that period i believe will survive that period, sadly and i say sadly with a heavy heart its takes whatever it takes to get through this mess. I truly hope that those who have accepted a 70% contract are 100% when the British public decide to take a Winter holiday again. I joined Jet2 knowing money was less than industry standard, but that i worked close to my home, i sleep in my own bed every night, i work hard but i get paid a reasonable amount. I think anyone who has had to work away from their husband/wife and kids will forgo that little bit of extra salary to have a job near their home town. That is also a job that will be there in 18 months time.

Final quote "Jet 2 are NOT responding to market conditions but they using them to exploit some very, very vulnerable people and pilots in particular. Well you will just have to excuse me in joining you from the sidelines and applauding in your upschool support in such disgusting way of behaviour. If you are correct (ergo I am wrong) Jet2 cannot survive without applying such iniquitous conditions, then perhaps they shouldn't be in the market in the first place."

Market conditions i think read the previous paragraph the market conditions in the Uk are dire and may get worse. Now you mentioned "very very vulnerable people" you could have added one more "very" just for emotive effect. These are professional pilots we are talking about, i am not sure i would ever describe any pilot i have ever met as "very very vulnerable" this isn't care in the community this is a group of people who make decisions on a daily basis and understand the background of decisions. More emotive stuff from your good self.

The offer is on the table for these "very very vulnerable" people if they don't want it that is their choice. I hope those offered take it, can afford to take it and i understand that some cannot. But Jet2 have been open and up front throughout from what i have heard, open and up front are they the actions of shysters and charlatans ???

Finally and this is finally i am not defending the actions of management (they are more than able to do that themselves), what i am hoping is that management protect the business that i work for so that i may still be working for that business in 2 years time. Sounds selfish ? ask the same question to the 1000+ employees of the Dart group i reckon you will get the same answer.