PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cairns and "Up North"
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2002, 03:43
Gravox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meat bombing is a good start. If you master the art of skydiving ops you can usually get work as a jump pilot anywhere. Almost all operators love to have experienced jump pilots. This helped me out as I drove around the country in search of work. Once I had settled in a location and was looking for a real flying job I would go to the jump operators and would pick up some casual work which kept me current instead of forking out hundreds of dollars that I didn't have to remain current.

At 200 hours I would suggest to stay away from the NT and Kunnunura, as every man and his dog goes up there in search of work. Wait till you get some more experience. Even at 700 hours I didn't find work up there.

Try to look for tourist spots. Scenic flights are a great way to build up the inital 500 hours. Slugging it around in a C172.
Hervey Bay Qld (Fraser Island) to name just one. I know of other places, but it wouldn't be far to name them for all to see. Do a search on the yellow pages, make hundreds of phone calls, and post of your resumes. Once you get into a scenic flying the hours never seem to come fast enough. You'll have to go out to the caravan parks, and actively promote the company your are flying for, drum up your own work.

At 200 hours you have to be able to sell yourself to your potential employer. What makes you better than the other 200 hour pilot whose resume also arrived today? Resumes are extremely important, so make sure it is set out neatly. Also attach an accompaning letter, stating what you can offer the company.

Best of luck, and keep you chin up