PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 Recruiting now
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2010, 22:52
binsleepen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

At the risk of getting my head bitten off by some on here I have accepted Jet2s offer. I would much rather not have to pay for a TR or take only a 70% contract but after sitting home throughout the summer I don't have the luxury of having principles from the position of a good job.

However I see it as a job that pays £30k a year plus allowances and has 5 months holiday (a bit like a teacher). I have been offered 1 of the 2 bases I asked for so I can live at home with my family. There is every chance I could get a command in a year and even if I don't I'll have a Boeing TR and 5-600 airline hours and experience. Even if Ryan or Easy offered free TRs and 100% work there is every chance that I would be based on the other side of Europe. Not something I would want for me or my family.

I am ex military and pre-2008 many of my colleagues walked straight into BA or Virgin but today you need a TR for either company. At the moment nobody offers 'free' or bonded TRs so while its not great, for me with my circumstances it's the best deal in town. In 2 or 3 months better deals may come along but I feel a bird in the hand etc.

The people at Jet2 seem very friendly and are doing their best within the limits set by those above them. They do however seem a bit maxed by the volume of applications.

I am now taking cover, release the hounds of hell.

Regards

Last edited by binsleepen; 9th Oct 2010 at 08:25. Reason: spooling