PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 Recruiting now
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2010, 21:06
Captainkingkong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starbear i am assuming that you will not be accepting the contract that Jet2 offered you ?
Oh hang on are you going to tell us you didn't apply and would never work for such degrading terms and conditions, but are standing on the sidelines supporting pilots conditions generally ?? I think we can do that ourselves than you very much.

Lets lay a few facts on the table, Thomsonfly pilots accepted i believe a 5-7% pay cut so in effect were working for 95% salary for one year and next year the management sacked the bottom 100. However the threat of redundancy for approx 6 months forced many to seek jobs in the so called "sandpit". The threat of redundancy forced many to jump before they were pushed. Excel great terms and conditions are no more. Flightline mis managed growth led to a financial situation that eventually led to the demise of an airline.
Now if you were to ask those pilots ,who lost jobs that led to relocation of families abroad or even worse to total loss of income, would you work for 70% with an almost cast iron (as much as there can be ) assurance they will have a job in two years time i think i know which option they would take.

I see BMI made such losses this week that one Accountants view was they couldn't see how they would continue as a going concern and Lufty are only putting £60million into the business. Again more pilots who must be sat at home wondering which way to turn next. I have been in an airline that has gone "bust" recently and i know how awful it feels and how desperate that feels as well and i personally do not want that to happen at jet2.

The government is about to announce a spending review that will effectively make thousands redundant. Those made redundant will not be taking their second holiday which is traditionally a winter break. The amount of free cash floating around this country in the next 12 months will dwindle and therefore you don't have to be a rocket scientist to work out that holiday demand and demand for flights may dwindle. Therefore the prudent sensible airline tailors its growth to the predicted set of financial conditions in the coming 12-24 months.

The point i am making is that aviation may look as though it is recovering, its all smoke and mirrors as i think its as fragile as it has ever been. The pilot employment market is recovering if you wish to work in the Middle East. BA offering 80 jobs, Virgin offering "a handful" according to the internal memo is not a recovery in the UK pilots jobs market.

So back to Jet2, i actually see it as unfortunately necessary to grow slowly and pay pilots proportionally to the work demand ( that sensible growth ensures the jobs of the other current pilot employees are secure). At the moment that demand is Summer and not winter for the reasons stated above. So surely financial prudence dictates that you employ the most expensive element of your business ie pilots when you need them. You tailor your recruitment to your demand, if the demand grows then you offer those pilots further 100% work, surely that is prudent management of an airline in demanding economic times ???

I know the Cpilot and both Fleet Captains would want to offer full time 100% contracts they are reasonable people who understand the demands on both pilots and their family. However if the winter is quiet with very little flying you are expecting pilots to be paid to be sat at home? Personally as an employee i would see that as completely irresponsible to the future security of the company. However i hope that work appears and all people will be offered 100% contracts Jet2 is a company that changes quickly and they have a habit of pulling work in at short notice.

The word "unethical" was used, it would have been unethical to offer people 100% and after they have joined tell them that sorry only 70% now due to reduction in winter schedule. There is nothing unethical laying the terms and conditions of each offer out to each candidate who has an offer of employment made to them. Perhaps the process has not looked perfect, however i should imagine it was responding to the changing requirements for winter crew as the work plan for winter changed.