PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - STOL aircraft question.
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2010, 13:16
Boslandew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STOL to ISC

Michael

I was amazed at the similarity of the two routes with ferry/fixed/helicopter. Even the route mileage between the two principal terminals is almost the same. I was interested to see that the S76 helicopter is used. I flew it on the North Sea and often thought that with its high (helicopter) speed, relative smoothness, good passenger visibility and very fast start up/turn-round times it would be ideal for the right passenger service. Frightening price though.

I’m assuming that traffic on the routes is as much business/ domestic as it is holiday with reasonable loads through the winter. Up to 6 Twotters in use on the fixed-wing link alone suggests a lot of passengers. I appreciate your support for the Twin Otter. Even as a rotary-wing man, I can see that it’s just about unique. Be interested to know the total passengers carried each year. PZE - Scillies varies from 2000+ per day in summer to as little as twenty in winter.

Phileas

One of lifes amazing coincidences. Last night a friend who has been associated with Lands End/St Just airfield all his life, lent me a copy of a book called “To The Sunset Bound” by a chap called Michael Ingram, ISBN 0 85130 141 X. In fact the author presented my friend with this copy. It was first published In 1987 but has been updated as it contains references to the Dornier 228 which I believe was later.

It is a highly detailed, well-researched history of all scheduled air services to the Scillies. It contains details of all operators, types used and individual registrations and much backgound info as well. It even refers to my S61 type conversion in 1976. All of the questions we have raised are considered and explanations provided. It also mentions ‘Doc’s rock’ you’ll be pleased to hear. Apparently at one stage the advantages of turning PZE heliport into a 2500 feet fixed-wing strip were considered.

The Dash 7 could land but not carrying an economical payload. The Dornier 228 (not sure which version) was regarded as not having the necessary short-field performance, I checked a web-site which quotes a take-off distance of just under 800 metres, 600 available. The civilian versions of the Caribou and Buffalo were considered, both being considerable short-field performers but rejected oweing to UK certification costs. The Israeli Arava and Australian Nomad did not offer any significant increases. The civilian Chinook was considered but ruled out on availability grounds.

It all supports my original belief that there is no fixed-wing aircraft that can offer as many seats commercially to ISC as the S61. The book quotes operating cost for the S61 as being 25% higher than the Twin Otter, less difference than I had thought. Where fixed-wing also score is the ability to operate from ‘up-country’, Bristol, Exeter, Southampton, denied to the S61 because of limited range with max pax.

I take your point about Penzance/St Just and Newquay/Newquay, its all in the mind. The jetfoil does sound like fun though. How about in rough seas, we have to bear in mind that the Scillies are in the Atlantic.
Regards, David