PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 8th Oct 2010, 11:46
Colonel White

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BG
Lets hope for all our sakes that some of the more decent and intelligent union reps can move forward and sign an agreement, probably similar to the one on the table but hopefully better and we can all get on with our lives.
I'd second that desire, however I can't see BA management improving the deal on the table. If you look at the history of this dispute, the offers have got successively poorer. The last (and deemed by BA to be final) offer was more than reasonable. It gave cabin crew a heck of a lot more than other bargaining groups have had (look at the deal struck with ground crew which involves headcount reductions). From the sidelines it would seem that the reason that the Unite leadership would not actively recommend it was because whilst staff travel would be returned, seniority would not. Again, from the sideline I think that it was a real pity that so few cabin crew actually voted.

I also believe that the dispute is being perpetuated by a few people on the union side who have a personal axe to grind and who could not be reasonably described as impartial. Union reps need to be able to advise members of their rights. The role is all about being the voice of the members in dealings with management. It is not about foisting personal agendas on management and members. I'm sure that there are some good reps within BASSA, it's just a pity that the only ones we on the outside se, are the more strident variety.