PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can we have a new forum please
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2002, 21:36
Captain Airclues
Just another number

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Prior to 9/11, one of the pleasures of the job was meeting the rich variety of people who used to visit the flight deck. Some were just curious, but some, although not pilots, had a keen interest in aviation. I learned a great deal from the engineers, ATCOs and ground staff who used to sit and chat about their jobs. The most satisfying were the wannabes, as their enthusiasm was infectious, and I never tired of their questions.
Occationally we would get the 'Walter Mitty' character who felt that he had to lie about his qualifications to impress us. It would have been so easy to expose them, but what would that have achieved? (after all he was helping to pay my salary). I would just listen politely to his exploits and then wish him well as he went on his way.
Sadly, but quite rightly, those days are no more. However we have a substitute in these forums where we can talk with people from all walks of life about the profession that we love. I regularly visit all of the forums, including wannabes and SLF, and am constantly learning something new from all of them.
The same type of 'Walter Mitty' who used to visit the flight deck also visits these forums. Unless they are insulting or critical, as was the case recently, then I suggest that we just skip on to the next post and ignore them.
Believe it or not, it is possible to have a successful career in aviation without ever being rude, insulting or critical.
Just as the SLF have to trust the captain and crew to fly the aircraft safely, I think that we must trust Capt PPRuNe and his team to run this website.
Keep up the good work sir, and please don't change it.

Airclues