PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BO 105 - Good, Bad or just Ugly?
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2010, 14:13
Daddylynx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bolkow 105 Shufffle

I have recently started flying the Bolkow 105. We have CBS 4 and 5 and use it for Aeromedevac and Flying Doctor Service in the remote Interior of Sarawak. I have a few thousand hrs on maritime lynx but less than 100 on this. I recently had an 'event' (actually several) whereby the aircraft seemed to gently yaw and roll from side to side almost describing a horizontal orbit while flying forwards. Quite uncomfortable at 110 kts but I was told not to be too concerned! It seemed to happen fairly randomly but always at speeds below 60 kts. Above that it would sometimes start and then without any reason just stop. I got them to change the blades and the problem stopped. I was told by one of our Filipino engineers that it was the Bolkow shuffle, but no one could adequately explain how and why it occurs - even our Filipini pilots with a few thousand hours on type could not explain it.

Can anyone explain what has happened to the MRBs and how this is manifested as a "shuffle'. Is it something to be worried about?

I am out on a bit of a limb here and got a lot more questions depending on how I get on with this one.