PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I want to fly!
Thread: I want to fly!
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2010, 18:21
YYZBeacher

Location: In the middle of the Golden Horseshoe otherwise known as Toronto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To get into Canada, you don't need a Visa - you need a work permit.

1. The work permit is only given when you have a job offer in hand.
2. A labour market opinion is then sought which comes from Human Resources Development and Canadian Immigration and Citizenship and needs to show a) the job offer to be filled will have a neutral or positive effect on the job market and Canada b) it could not be realistically done by either a permanent resident already in Canada or a Canadian citizen.
3. Job offer cannot be formalized without the Labour Market Opinion and Work Permit. No work permit and a positive Labour Market Opinion means job offer is worthless as you won't be admitted to Canada..
4. With the state of hiring in the Canadian aviation industry from the ground up, the surplus of pilots and the minimum requirements needed to fly decent hardware already in situ here in the Great White North, I'm sorry to tell you, the chances are bad to non-existent.

AND even worse - if you were to get a work permit it is tied to the occupational group you are authorized for - and to the employer taking you. No job swapping, no change of employer - or it's arrivederci and back to Italia presto pronto...

I am now 42, and I'll be coming off the long hauls and onto crappy positions on the Airbus command - whereas with the same length of service at BA - I would have made wide body command by now - so that gives you an idea I am sure of what it's like.

Good luck no matter what path you're going to take - and if you do happen to be flying floats out west - just outside the Canadian territorial waters, and see a boat packed full heading to BC, land your float, get on board, and be welcomed. O Canada. (Try saying that on Av Canada).

All the best I-FABO.

Last edited by YYZBeacher; 5th Oct 2010 at 20:55.