PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS Aircraft Down In Dubai
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2010, 20:41
Lonewolf_50

Received 420 Likes on 262 Posts
Razoray
And that's just not good enough....I'm not saying that if there was a Fire Fighter on board that the UPS plane would not have crashed, but at least it gives the crew a fighting chance, and if anything buys them some much needed time...

I don't disagree with you.

It is of interest to see somebody post the rumor that one of the crew had gone to try and fight the fire. Guess: If that is so, perhaps the location of the two dead pilots' bodies suggest one not being in the cockpit? We shall see, hopefully, as more of the investigation's details emerge.
Mariner
Fires are feared by sailors and aviators alike.

The sailor can at last resort jump in the ocean without first having to manage a controlled ditching ... though at some latitudes, that just makes you a cold dinner for the fish … in either case.

Torquewrench
Considerable design time has been lavished on carefully automating all of the official, routine duties of navigators and flight engineers. However, this can easily blind designers to the fact that there were many unofficial, non-routine exertions often carried out by such members of the crew, especially under emergency circumstances, and these are unlikely to be addressed by even superbly foresighted ...

To which Machaca objected.

Machaca, I remember in the H-2, we were at about Airframe change 131 when I entered the fleet. The designers can’t foresee it all – their being human, that isn’t any condemnation of designers.