PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You never know who's watching - Lesson #27 - Helo Water Landings
Old 4th Oct 2010, 14:52
Lonewolf_50

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts
Sikorskys are Russian helos with the blades going counter clockwise
ToT, not quite.

Sikorsky helicopters are American helicopters. Igor (RIP) set up shop some decades ago in New York and Connecticut. I think you will find that American helicopters made by Bell, Boeing, and Sikorsky all have rotors going counter-clockwise. (Not sure about Robinson, but I think they do as well). IIRC, many of the Euro (French is all I can recall at the moment) have them going clockwise so you use different rudder for adding power. Memory hazy on that ...

I see that the usual fun with power settling and settling with power is afoot. (Possibly ill coined phrases, but that was what I got taught way back when in Hueys ... )

From the SH-60 flight manual, same as I used to teach (*cough* how many years was it?) years ago ...
Excerpts from:

11.5.1 Vortex Ring State
The term “power settling” comes from pilot observations that the helicopter keeps settling even though full engine power is used.
The effect is measurable at descent rates greater than 700 fpm and airspeeds between 0 and 20 KIAS and is the worst at descent rates of approximately 1,500 fpm with airspeeds of 5 to 10 KIAS.
Often confused with what used to be called "settling with power" but is now apparently called :

11.4.10 Power Required Exceeds Power Available (PREPA?)
At high density altitudes, high gross weights, or when operating with reduced power, power required may exceed power available.
This used to make teaching single engine approaches to a spot sporting on a warm day, as one could hit firm if overweight, without having ought to do with Vortex Ring State. Hence IP hands guarding ECLs ...

EDIT: Senior Pilot, how did I miss your post? Nick's discussion relates to (I am guessing) UH-60A? Seahawk tends to begin at about 2K heavier than Blackhawk, but his point about vertical speeds of rotor wash means that the flight manual may have deliberately fudged the numbers on the conservative side as a cue to avoid getting into VRS ... interesting.