PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Capt Burkill to re-join BA
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2010, 08:47
His dudeness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats to Peter & his familiy. Your book was an eyeopener for me.

With regards to the other airlines not recruiting Capt Burkill I agree that it was unfair, but understandable. The public's perception of an airlines safety is paramount and a risk/reward calculation was made. If another incident ever happened (however unlikely) there would be a lot of uncomfortable questions raised.
Excuse me, but that is . He was either handling the situation right (which he did IMO) or heŽd been found guilty of operating the airplane outside envelopes, limits, whatever. He was not. So he is innocent and by doing the right thing at the right time he had saved the lifes of all on board and probably a few people on the ground. That was his job and he did exactly that. (and his crew)
Not hiring a pilot that on one side sticks to SOPs as long as possible and then in a split second decision doing the right thing 'outside the training envelope' is stupid.Such an example of airmanship isprobably the best pilot you can get.
IŽve asked myself many times if I could be as cool, calm and composed in the same situation he or Capt.Sullenberger was in.

Nobody wanted to stick their neck out, so this should serve as a warning for anybody stuck with a similar curse.
Thats exactly what is wrong with us today, most folks, especially in management levels, not having a backbone any more.

With one thing you are right, its a warning.