PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training in the simulator for pilot incapacitation. A new approach?
Old 3rd Oct 2010, 07:36
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Cue rapid decompression, radio failure, multiple instrument and electrical failures, autopilot failure, a fuel leak and ****ty weather (I think they didn't like me).

I managed a hand flown emergency descent, radio failure procedure into a full procedural arrival and ILS to minima and a go around into the full procedural NDB/DME approach to landing using the opposite side instruments whilst trying not to run out of fuel and doing my own checklists. And then an APU fire on the roll out leading to an emergency evacuation.
I am amazed to this day that this type of deliberate "make'em or break 'em" nonsense is still used by so called check captains. No wonder in many companies the flight simulator is called The Horror Box. A million trees are cut down to print advice on Human factors, CRM and TEM or whatever is the latest crap to emanate from the University of Texas - yet very rarely does one see a treatise on how to instruct in a simulator - or more to the point how NOT to instruct.

Time and again I hear of instructors who delight in introducing multiple systems emergencies during a simulator session and some unfortunate pilot has to wear this unmitigated rubbish for two hours until coffee time. Then gets his ears bashed for another hour at debriefing on what the instructor thinks the pilot should have done.