PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training in the simulator for pilot incapacitation. A new approach?
Old 2nd Oct 2010, 14:12
Lord Spandex Masher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not necessarily a new approach but a good one.

As a newish F/O undergoing an LPC with the flight ops director in the left seat and the senior training captain as the TRE I was feeling a small amount of pressure to perform.

Half way through the LOFT on day two the captain (FOD) got out out of his seat and cleared off 'down the back'. Hostie (TRE) dings a minute later and tells me the captain is "stuck on the bog and wont be coming back so you're on your own". Ok say I, no problems.

Cue rapid decompression, radio failure, multiple instrument and electrical failures, autopilot failure, a fuel leak and ****ty weather (I think they didn't like me).

I managed a hand flown emergency descent, radio failure procedure into a full procedural arrival and ILS to minima and a go around into the full procedural NDB/DME approach to landing using the opposite side instruments whilst trying not to run out of fuel and doing my own checklists. And then an APU fire on the roll out leading to an emergency evacuation.

Didn't do too badly for an 800 hour wonder but would I have had the confidence to do all that I needed to do if the FOD was still in his seat watching every little thing I did? Nope. Would I have the confidence to do it now? Yes. It was bloody hard work and I was sweating like a pig but it was a great lesson and did my confidence a world of good.