PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joyce accuses unions of living 'beyond cloud-cuckoo land'
Old 2nd Oct 2010, 11:02
TIMA9X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the right contacts
Yep agree again, but Thailand has changed regarding skilled English speakers, there are lot more now than ever.... When TG etc moved to the new Suvarnabhumi International (BKK) (the other side of town approx 30Ks) from Don Mueang (DMK) had many English speaking quality labours not transferring to the new setup. Many stayed at DMK for the domestic side. Also as an aside, there are many trained military people now leaving to find suitable work.

Although futile (JQ seem hell bent on SIN) but I believe Bangkok is not too much of a culture shock for foreign pilots and the accommodation is probably better and cheaper for crews, other words, more dollars for flight crews in their back pockets. There are also a lot of International schools available to send the kids, again cheaper than SIN. Quality food and groceries are much cheaper than Singapore.

JQ working out of Thailand would have access to a larger population base Thailand, (traveling more than ever these days) but can feed to SIN with the existing JQ setup and of course QF as well.

I can confirm, it would be probably be easier to get valid ASAs in Thailand (contrary to the belief securing ASAs is difficult) provided that JQ did indeed source the right contacts which are not that difficult to find. I am also told that airport charges are also negotiable again with the right contacts.

As I see it, QF and JQ both based in Singapore is really putting all your eggs in one basket, something that I think QF management should consider.