PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will BA recruit if there's a war in Iraq?
Old 13th Aug 2002, 21:27
Lavdumperer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scroggs, I respect you a lot, so, don't take my response as disrespectful. The US has always been underestimated when it comes to battles post Vietnam (yes, that was regrettable). However, it is undeniable that the US possesses the strength and resolve (especially after 9/11) to root-out both terrorism and potential threats to the US and the rest of the world.

Saddam represents one of the major threats - his OBSESSION with laying his hands on nuclear weapons or weapons of MASS DESTRUCTION is well known (he feels Iraq would be better respected in the Arab world and that his safety would improve with the weapons). He has the money and the sense of urgency required to eventually develop an arsenal that would eventually tip the balance of power in the Gulf - that is the case. Would you like Saddam to threaten the deployment of nukes whenever he doesn't get his way? That is called nuclear blackmail - and get used to it (pacifists)...

Europe should never downplay the USA's ability to unilaterally respond to a threat like Iraq. WWW, you think you know everything - I guess your dPhil from Cambridge entitles you to that opinion... Well, of course Colin Powell would downplay the USA's ability to the press - the last thing you want is to be constrained by a deadline (i.e., a one-month battle). The USA has the sophisticated weapons (F15s, F16s, F18s, B2s , F117As, and CRUISE MISSILES), the ground forces (over 250,000 well-trained soldiers using sophisticated equipment) and the country's RESOLVE - over 75% of citizens polled agree that Saddam represents a major threat to peace in the future.

Sure, Saddam is clever and he can hide - just like Osama Bin Laden. But when Bagdad has been taken (because the Iraqi army will not want to fight and get thrashed again if Saddam runs and hides), he will not be able to return to his current position. The government will change eventually and he may still be in hiding - he will eventually be caught OR he will live in the caves with Osama.

Europeans took forever to deal with Bosnia and Kosovo - how many poor, innocent people had to die in Kosovo without European intervention? Kosovo was in Europe's backyard and yet it took the Americans to get things going - and it took a matter of weeks with almost no US casulties. Do you remember Kosovo WWW? The Americans had to take care of Europe's dirty work - and we did it quickly. In Afghanistan, we quickly rooted the Al Queda despite Russia's claim that it would become another Viet Nam. WRONG!!!! Sure, we did not catch Osama or the Taliban leader, but they are running like scared children... A government/regime change has happened in Afghanistan despite all of the European naysayers....

Will there be a lot of lives lost? Probably. Will the Iraqis appreciate the end result when they can once again be strong members of the world community vs. the parriahs they are now? Yes. Simply put - we have the sophisticated weapons and the resolve to get things done - unlike the Europeans who have a vested interest in keeping Saddam in power (i.e., the French love the oil money). Remember Kosovo - the Americans took charge after years of European neglect and we got it done - quickly! In the end, the world will be safer and better off without Saddam - and everyone will thank us - again...

Cheers